Monday, November 1, 2010

Taco night!!!

I've been out of town, so haven't been cooking lately.  It was so nice staying at my friend's house and waking up to warm coffee every day.  Why is coffee so much better when someone else makes it???  LOL!

So, tacos ..... I bought blue corn tortilla hard taco shells from Whole Foods.  Also, grass-fed beef, refried beans, butter lettuce, roma tomatoes, cilantro, garlic-cilantro salsa, and grated pepper jack cheese (almost all of that organic).  I had a cucumber left from the ones we bought at the farmer's market a couple weeks ago.

I was taking a pilates class at 6:30 and my kids didn't get home until about then, so I browned the ground beef before I left and put it in the warming oven.  I took the refried beans out of the can into a cast-iron pot and put it in the 250 oven to heat up while I was gone.  The Aga makes things more convenient to make things ahead of time, but you make everything basically the same way even if you don't have one.  :)

To brown the ground beef I just put it in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and used a spatula to break it up while it was cooking.  I salted it and added some chipotle seasoning and cumin.  When it was cooked, I blotted it with paper towels because there was little liquid to pour off and I could see it was greasy.

When I cooked the beans, I added a little bit of water to them so they were easier to stir.  Once they get warm, they are easier to stir, so not a lot of water.  You can also heat these up on the stove-top, but be sure to keep stirring so it doesn't stick to the bottom .... and if they start to "boil" they splatter all over the place.

Be sure to chop up the veggies small.  I let everyone assemble their own, it's just easier that way.

This is one of our favorite dinners!!  And it's SO easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment