Thursday, November 4, 2010

Buffalo chili!!!

I have been anemic lately (long story, but basically they were out of my iron supp so I tried another one that didn't work), so I've been eating more buffalo because of its high iron content.  It's lower fat, calories and cholesterol than beef, and it's higher in protein, iron and B12.

I browned then drained 2 1/2 pounds of ground buffalo in a large cast iron pot.  I added chopped onions (2 small) and carrots (a couple handfuls of baby carrots).  When meat was brown and veggies softened I added two 28 oz. cans of fire-roasted crushed tomatoes and four cans of Westbrae chili beans (rinsed).  Also, chili powder and chipotle powder.

I heated it up and let it simmer for a few hours, it can be stovetop but I put it in my 250 degree Aga oven.

The kids had theirs over top of corn chips topped with grated pepper jack cheese.  I had mine with just chili and pepper jack.  YUM!!  And a very easy dinner to make.  It's unnecessary to cook for as long as I did, but the flavors do seem to be better if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment