Saturday, October 23, 2010

Mac and cheese!!

Last night my kids wanted mac and cheese.  I'm starting to see the end of this bug .... I've hardly been eating, but the mac and cheese was so mild that it was perfect for me.

First, start boiling the water!  It can take forever, so get it started!  You can always turn it to a simmer if it boils before you're ready.  Get out a baking dish and grease it.  I just use a paper towel to rub some oil on it.

While the water is boiling, melt some butter.  Remember, I'm cooking for a crowd, so I melt a whole stick, organic of course!!  While it melts, get out the flour .... spoon some into some cold water.  I use several tablespoons.  I don't measure, you can always add more later if you want.  (I know I'm not specific, but if you learn by trying, you won't be so reliant on a cookbook or recipe!!  This is how our grandmothers cooked!!!).  Stir the flour into the water (about a cup, I mix this in a coffee mug) with a fork.

Next, pour flour mixture into the butter and whisk.  Have the milk ready when you do this.  When it thickens a bit (it takes like a second to thicken!!), the pour in milk.  Think about the size of your baking dish.  You will want enough liquid to cover the pasta in that dish.  Add grated cheddar cheese.  I also added some parmesan last night.  I used about 2/3 of a large package, the amount isn't that important.  You can taste it as it melts to see if you want more.  Whisk as this heats up over low-med heat.  Don't bring it to a boil, but to a simmer.  It will thicken a bit as it warms.  Set aside.

Cook your noodles according to the directions on the box.  They can be gluten-free, or whatever noodles you want.  I like elbows or spirals.

Drain noodles and put them into the baking dish.  Then pour cheese mixture on top.  Sprinkle the rest of the cheddar over the dish and bake until bubbly ... probably about 20-30 min. depending on how brown you want the top.  Let sit for 10 min, then serve.  If you serve it early, it will be watery, which tastes just fine.

I forgot to take a picture last night, so the picture below is of the last time I made mac and cheese.  That time I put bread crumbs on top!  Try different things!!  Take chances!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment