Monday, December 6, 2010

Sweet potato casserole!!

I hope you all had a very happy Thanksgiving!!!  I know I've been delinquent in writing about our eating, I'm sorry.  We had out of town company for a few days around Thanksgiving, then I just got busy.

I won't tell you about the entire dinner, but I do want to share a couple of my favorite recipes.  The first is sweet potato casserole.

I don't have a link to give you to this recipe because it is from First Magazine about TWENTY years ago!!!!  Their website is http://myfirstforwomen.com/

Sweet Potato Casserole, serves 8

4 lbs. sweet potatoes or yams
12 tbsp. butter
2 eggs
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
salt
1 cup chopped pecans

Butter a 2 qt. baking dish.  Peel and quarter potatoes.  Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil in a large pot of salted water.  Cook until tender (15 min.).  Drain and mash.  Melt 4 tbs. butter in the hot pot.  Stir in potatoes, eggs, cinnamon, and mix well.  Place in prepared baking dish.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt remaining 8 tbsp. butter.  Combine flour, sugar, and a pinch of salt.  Stir in butter.  Add pecans and mix until crumbly.  Sprinkle over potatoes.  Bake until golden brown, 30-35 min.


This recipe is soooo good!!!  One year I made a different, and quite excellent recipe and everyone threw a fit!!  It didn't have the pecan topping!!!!  I make this in a 9 x 13 Pyrex baking dish so that it's "flatter" otherwise the topping is too thick and not everyone gets some because the potatoes under the topping are also too thick.  I make 1 1/5 times what's called for because I'm always cooking for about 14 on Thanksgiving.

More recipes to come .....

No comments:

Post a Comment