Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tostadas!!!

These were so good!!!!  My 14 year old son even said, "This is better than taco night!!" and that's saying a lot because taco night is a favorite around here!


Here's how it's made:

First, I made pico de gallo.  I have a share in an organic Amish farm so I get a box of produce every week. They have been including ramsons in the box this spring.  I LOVE them!!!  Like garlic, only better!  I finely chop two organic heirloom tomatoes, a couple ramsons (bulbs and greens), a vidalia onion (because it's spring and I love them, but any onion will do), a handful of fresh cilantro, and a pepper (I like jalapeños, but I like it spicy).  Stir and let sit so the flavors mingle.  You could even make this a day in advance.

Then I took Ezekiel Corn Tortillas and fried them in a cast iron skillet.  I put enough high heat safflower oil in the skillet to cover the tortillas.  I heated the oil first.  It must be very hot to keep the tortillas from becoming greasy.  Once the oil is hot, I took tongs to place two tortillas at a time into the hot oil.  I let them cook on one side, then flipped them, but they were completely submerged.  Once they were crispy and a little browned, I placed them on a paper towel to cool off.

I heated up some organic refried beans, cut an avocado, and chopped up a spring mix that was also in the box.

I had everyone assemble their own by taking a tortillas, slathering on some refried beans, then topping with the spring mix, avocado, and pico de gallo.  The kids added organic grated cheese to theirs.

Mmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment