Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chili pie!!!

This one is a real crowd pleaser and it's SIMPLE!!!  And can be made ahead.

First, make chili.  We've talked about making chili here, before, but here's how.  Brown ground beef (or ground bison, turkey or whatever) and chopped onion.  Pour off excess fat.  Add cans of crushed tomatoes and cans of rinsed chili beans.  I use 2 1/2 pounds meat, 2 onions, 2 large cans of organic crushed tomatoes, and 4 cans of Westbrae organic chili beans.  Add seasonings.  I like adding chili powder, chipotle powder, and some crushed garlic.  Let simmer.  The longer it simmers, the better!!

You can even make the chili in a crock pot, but be sure it's lead free!  I put mine inside my 250 degree (upper left) oven in my Aga.

When you're ready to serve, crush some corn chips into bite size pieces and place in a bowl.  In an effort to avoid GMO corn, I use organic corn chips.  My family considers the "real" recipe to call for Fritos, but as far as I know, they still don't make an organic version.

Top the chips with chili and grated cheese.  In the picture, I've topped it with organic monterrey jack, but cheddar is also very good.

This is a favorite for kids and adults alike!

No comments:

Post a Comment